The University of Colorado Department of Family Medicine hosts four distinguished Levitt Lectureships each year. Dr. Louis P. Levitt was born in Denver in 1896 and graduated from the University Of Colorado School Of Medicine in 1927. He was a general practitioner in Denver until 1967. In 1978 he bequeathed an endowment to the Department of Family Medicine to establish a visiting lectureship. Over the years this endowment has enabled our department to host more than 50 distinguished visiting professors, leaders and authorities to speak and consult with us.
The goals of the Levitt Distinguished Speaker Series: Innovations in Health and Healthcare are threefold: 1) to feature nationally recognized speakers who will address topics of importance for our campus and community, 2) to present innovative approaches to pressing clinical, educational, research, and policy issues of our time, and 3) to offer consultation to leaders on our campus and in our community as we develop and refine new programs.
Recent Distinguished Levitt Speakers
- Parinda Khatri, PhD, Director, Integrated Care at Cherokee Health Systems
- Jack Westfall, MD, Chief Medical Officer, Colorado Health Insurance Cooperative
- Rafael Bengoa, MD, Former Minister of Health, Basque Country, Spain
- Erika Bliss, MD – CEO, Qliance Medical Management, Inc., Seattle
- Harvey Fineberg, MD, PhD, President of the Institute of Medicine
- E-Patient Dave deBronkart, Co-Chair of the Society for Participatory Medicine
- Anne Warhover, CEO The Colorado Health Foundation
- Paul Grundy, MD, MPH, Director, Healthcare, Technology, and Strategic Initiatives, IBM Global Wellbeing Services and Health Benefits
- Robert Gibbons, PhD, Director, Center for Health Statistics & Professor of Biostatistics, University of Illinois at Chicago
- B. Ned Calonge, MD, MPH, Chief Medical Officer, Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment
- Lee Lipsenthal, MD, ABIHM, Founder, Finding Balance in a Medical Life
- Warren P. Newton, MD, MPH, Executive Associate Dean for Education, University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chief Education Officer, UNC School of Medicine
- Robert Phillips, Jr., MD, MSPH and Andrew Bazemore, MD, MPH, Robert Graham Center for Policy Studies in Family Medicine, Washington DC
- L. Allen Dobson, Jr., MD, Vice President Carolinas Healthcare System, Mt. Pleasant, NC
- Denise Rodgers, MD, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, New Brunswick, NJ
- Jim Mold, MD, MPH, University of Oklahoma Department of Family Medicine and Preventive Medicine
Becoming a Levitt Speaker
We are always looking for future speakers that fit the scope of the Levitt Lectureship. If you are interested in proposing a speaker for our Levitt Speaker Series, please contact us by filling out the form below to include a brief bio of the speaker, your name, and your contact information.